Process Hacker and Windows discussion

woob

Unacceptable performance issues

09 Jul 2019 02:56

After launching Process explorer, my mouse cursor visibly lags (like 1-2fps movement) when my system is under load, like when a video game is loading or other various tasks like video encoding, closing process explorer doesn't fix this, and I have to restart my computer to get back useful mouse movement, I have the kernel driver disabled, but somehow it effects my entire system, as if the kernel driver has been loaded...and is bugging out.

viksoftru

Re: Unacceptable performance issues

11 Jul 2019 12:19

Process Explorer and Process Hacker is different's software. If the problem is caused by installing Process Explorer, then write to Microsoft - this is their development, even if they understand.

woob

12 Jul 2019 00:11

I'm talking about Process Hacker, not Process explorer, that should have been an obvious typo because I'm here, and last time I checked, Process explorer doesn't use a kernel driver.

viksoftru

12 Jul 2019 13:39

First, check the installed applications for RAM usage. I saw yesterday and was surprised - LibreOffice v6.2.5.2 x64, 4 hours passed after the OS started, its modules were not called, there are no extensions, but the soffice.bin process uses 712.36 MB of RAM, and if you call for example Writer and without doing anything after a few minutes to close it, the soffice.bin uses 2049.71 MB, and most importantly does not free the memory itself. As a result, the OS resources are exhausted and the response time is significantly increased, regardless of the availability of Process Hacker.

woob

14 Jul 2019 04:20

As said, it's Process hacker doing something weird with Windows, it is not related to RAM usage, The problem only happens after I open Process Hacker and it's INSTANT, It's only fixed by a Restart of Windows, not restarting anything else, or anything like a memory leak, it' is not one specific piece of software, my mouse cursor should NEVER update at 1fps, the system is still responsive, like I've had my games run at a PERFECT 60fps, but my mouse and keyboard input just don't respond, I see objects in the game moving at 60fps, but my mouse cursor is and inputs are delayed, sometimes it's been so bad that it was delayed by 10-20s.

Here is an example of the mouse cursor lagging https://photos.app.goo.gl/mLnA6h7cNgQ2Nxyf6

viksoftru

17 Jul 2019 10:04

Sorry, but the phenomenon you see on other machines is not reproduced. Therefore, I believe that it has a local nature. Something is wrong (for example, there are errors in the settings) on your copy of the OS.

Astara

17 Jul 2019 20:11

I've been running PH for several years, and have never seen PH cause the problems you are talking about woob. If you are getting such low performance, what process is using the CPU? I.e. do you see PH using 100% of 1 cpu? FWIW, cpu usage on many cpu monitors running on windows doesn't show the classic definition of cpu usage, so seeing a process that is using 100% of a cpu isn't easy.

Normally, before multi-cpu+multi-cores, you saw (100*cputime/realtime)% as the value of
%cpu. This definition was kept on OS's where you could have 100's of cpus (sgi unix, cray unix). On OS's where it was more important to hide real cpu usage from users, the cpu usage is give as a %of time spent in cpu vs. available cpu, where available is always 100 whether you have 1 or 1000 cpu's. This gets even more difficult when you start using cycle based percentages or start getting fractional parts of a cpu (like in a virtual machine.). The only way to find out if a program is using alot of cpu is to multiple the cpu% you see by the number of cores in your system (if you have hypercores, enabled, it will be twice the real cores, but you won't see twice the cpu power). So if you have 6 CPU's with hyperthreading enabled, a process using 8.6% cpu, is really using 100% of 1 core. If you have hyperthreading enabled, you'll never really see 100% cpu usage, because the hyperthreads aren't real cpu's (they share hardware with another cpu).

Also, if you want the fastest single-threaded performance (or if you are worried about the speculative execution security bugs), you'd be best advised to turn hyperthreading off. Since most programs can't use parallel execution, they don't really benefit from hyperthreading (though some programs can, most don't), and even when they use parallel execution, they aren't doing the same thing, so you don't really benefit as hyperthreading was intended to use multiple threads running the same program.

In any even, you need to find out what program(programs) are causing your slow down, since PH shouldn't be doing that. It's possible some malware is causing the problem by doing busy wait-spins when you run PH in order to keep you from running PH regularly and being more likely to detect malware as it is executing.

I hope you find the problem. I'm curious as to what would be causing it.