Process Hacker and Windows discussion

SYNCHRONIC
New User

Possible to reset/restore priorities? Crashing since tweaking.

05 Sep 2018 19:03

Hi there

I recently installed Process Hacker, and changed a few of the priorities (not drastically, just some set to below average, and some set to higher than average) and have since been experiencing some hard crashes where the screen just goes black with no BSOD.

I was also making tweaks to my Services, using services.msc and autoruns.exe, although I've since gone back and renabled most of the Windows/Microsoft ones I disabled.

Just wondering if there is a way to easily reset all of my processes to normal priority? Would selecting them all and putting them on normal priority achieve that?

I get the "Event 41 Kernel-Power" critical error as the cause of crash, but no clue as to the exact culprit behind it.

Many thanks!

TETYYS
Contributor

Re: Possible to reset/restore priorities? Crashing since tweaking.

11 Sep 2018 17:57

Process' priority is not a permanent setting, they reset after program restart, if you haven't selected to save it in Process Hacker for specific executable.

dmex
Admin

Re: Possible to reset/restore priorities? Crashing since tweaking.

12 Sep 2018 05:17

Just wondering if there is a way to easily reset all of my processes to normal priority?
Reboot.
I get the "Event 41 Kernel-Power" critical error as the cause of crash, but no clue as to the exact culprit behind it.
You've induced a problem known as 'priority inversion': https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Priority_inversion

System processes are by default configured with very specific priorities for good reason and you should never change the system priority defaults unless you're the owner/developer, security researcher or have a very good reason for doing so.