Process Hacker and Windows discussion

peter777

Network statistic issue

11 May 2019 06:29

I have added the columns 'Network receives' and 'Network sends' but i am not sure if the statistic is correct. From the screenshot below i can accept that Firefox downloaded 419,259 mb, but there is no way the music player have downloaded 451,043 mb. It doesn't look like correct statistic to me. Am i missing something?

dmex
Admin

Re: Network statistic issue

11 May 2019 18:18

I have added the columns 'Network receives' and 'Network sends' but i am not sure if the statistic is correct.
These columns show the total count of network events not the total number of bytes.
there is no way the music player have downloaded 451,043 mb. It doesn't look like correct statistic to me. Am i missing something?
You need to use the 'Network receive bytes', 'Network send bytes' and the 'Network total bytes' columns to see the amount of data/bytes.

peter777

12 May 2019 06:35

I added the ''Network receive bytes' column but it shows even more strange value for music player generated traffic. It shows 1.6 GB and I am using the player mostly to listen mp3 files on my PC and occasionally listen to radio stations. I am sure the radio can't generate that kind of traffic.

Can you explain in more details what is the difference between the data in 'Network receives' and 'Network send bytes' column?

viksoftru

13 May 2019 13:47

Network send bytes (Tx) is out data Host -> Network, Network receives (Rx) is input data Network - Host. If Your have asymmetric network technology like DSL then always TX >> Rx - host generated and sent to network only requests, and the remote server sends him answers. In symmetric network technologies, the Tx/RX ratio typically ranges around one.

A large traffic value can be explained, for example, by the fact that you have some kind of background task using the same channel as the player itself, for example, the machine is running a rootkit.

Take Wireshark and see what's happening on your network.