Process Hacker and Windows discussion

BrendanatorX
New User

Questions about I/O System Information Stats

05 Jul 2020 04:33

Apologies for asking here, I have a hard time with finding the right google results or understanding overly complex explanations sometimes..
I did a little reading and my little understanding is that I/O is to do with input/output either between hardware in a PC or between the PC and outside sources, but would like a few dumbed down specifics so that I can understand the graphs and system information in Process Hacker. I've only a few simple questions I think, so I hope not a difficult ask.

Firstly: What kinds of processes/actions/jobs cause I/O R/W/O rate? I can see a connection between I/O rate and disc rate even though they don't match 1:1, so I wonder if I/O rates are a total of all read/writes detected by the system including storage drives and network connections? What else might count toward I/O Rate?

Secondly: I see there is read, write, and 'other' for some stats in System Information, what counts as 'other'?

Thirdly: I also see that there is a stat called 'delta'. I've seen Delta listed in various places even outside of Process Hacker, so does 'delta' refer to?

Hope to hear back soon, thanks for reading and for any answers provided.

dmex
Admin

Re: Questions about I/O System Information Stats

09 Jul 2020 03:39

would like a few dumbed down specifics so that I can understand the graphs and system information

The I/O rate includes anything coping data either from devices (busses, disks etc...) or boundaries such as usermode/kernelmode (pipes, sockets, ioctls etc...).

The Other rate is generally data copied between usermode and kernelmode instead of physical devices.

The delta values are the increase/decrease since the previous value was queried during the update interval. If the current value was 10MB and increased by 5MB since the previous update then the delta is 5MB.

BrendanatorX
New User

Re: Questions about I/O System Information Stats

10 Jul 2020 05:10

Ohh, that helps a lot actually, questions answered, thanks heaps!