Process Hacker and Windows discussion

tomcat

Re: Plugins-Extra

29 Jul 2017, 09:43

dmex wrote:
29 Jul 2017, 04:34
The version viksoftru uploaded is outdated and not compatible with the latest nightly build.
You may upload new compiled FirewallMonitorPlugin.dll and PerfMonPlugin.dll , thanks in advance.

viksoftru

29 Jul 2017, 13:12

My archive already included it.

tomcat

30 Jul 2017, 10:17

viksoftru wrote:
29 Jul 2017, 13:12
My archive already included it.
--- thanks.

Almighty1

14 Aug 2017, 22:07

dmex wrote:
29 Jul 2017, 04:34
Almighty1 wrote:
28 Jul 2017, 18:38
What's the correct method to install the FirewallMonitorPlugin.dll and PerfMonPlugin.dll as I copied the two files from the x64/plugins from YandexDisk and put it in x64/plugins of the latest nightly build but within a minute, windows will say ProcessHacker.exe has stopped working and then basically PH process exits.
The version viksoftru uploaded is outdated and not compatible with the latest nightly build.
Thanks, it was actually only FirewallMonitorPlugin.dll that causes the problem as in either the README or some other text file, it said it was not compatible with anything after XP or was it Windows 7 but basically Windows 10 won't work with it. PerfMonPlugin.dll doesn't have the problem.

dmex
Admin

15 Aug 2017, 06:39

Almighty1 wrote:
14 Aug 2017, 22:07
basically Windows 10 won't work with it. PerfMonPlugin.dll doesn't have the problem.
I don't have issues with the FirewallMonitor plugin on Windows 10 :?

tomcat

01 Sep 2017, 10:35

dmex wrote:
Not even me, no problem :p:

Almighty1

19 Nov 2017, 00:32

tomcat wrote:
01 Sep 2017, 10:35
dmex wrote:
Not even me, no problem :p:
Well, it would help if you guys listed the actual version you are using since for me, I am basically running the binaries of the latest nightly build of process hacker as found here:

https://wj32.org/processhacker/nightly.php

So after extracting that to the processhacker-3.0.1102-bin on my desktop, Process Hacker works when running processhacker-3.0.1102-bin\x64\ProcessHacker.exe so I exit ProcessHacker.

What I do is I download the file Process_Hacker-bin.7z from post #27 of this thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1929&start=20#p8284

I extract the Process_Hacker-bin.7z and take the processhacker-3.0-bin.zip from that file.

I extract the processhacker-3.0-bin.zip to the desktop as processhacker-3.0-bin and then take the following files.

Copied the following from processhacker-3.0-bin\x64\plugins and copied to the processhacker-3.0.1102-bin\x64\plugins folder in the nightly build:
DbgViewPlugin.dll
FirewallMonitorPlugin.dll
PerfMonPlugin.dll
TerminatorPlugin.dll

Copied the following from processhacker-3.0-bin\x64\plugins\plugindata and copied to the processhacker-3.0.1102-bin\x64\plugins\plugindata folder in the nightly build:
kprocesshacker2_x64.sys

At this point, I run processhacker-3.0.1102-bin\x64\ProcessHacker.exe by right click as Admin and it runs for exactly 1 second and exits.

As soon as I rename the file processhacker-3.0-bin\x64\plugins\FirewallMonitorPlugin.dll to processhacker-3.0-bin\x64\plugins\FirewallMonitorPlugin.dll.bak and run processhacker-3.0.1102-bin\x64\ProcessHacker.exe by right click as Admin, ProcessHacker will work fine. If I have the processhacker-3.0-bin\x64\plugins\FirewallMonitorPlugin.dll there, ProcessHacker will exit as soon as it runs.

It is actually Process_Hacker-bin\plugins_install.txt after extracting that says the following:
./plugins/FirewallMonitorPlugin.dll - only for Windows 7 - 8.1
./plugins/FirmwarePlugin.dll

The same problem happened with earlier nightly builds of Process Hacker since August 2017 when I tried to use the FirewallMinitorPlugin.dll as well, I am just using the latest nightly build version as a example to illustrate the problem. The problem still happens in Windows 10 Home x64 with Fall Creators Edition. So what am I doing wrong?

viksoftru

20 Nov 2017, 13:54

Plugin Extras is developments and can have any hidden bug. Your can use for any risk.

Almighty1

20 Nov 2017, 21:53

viksoftru wrote:
20 Nov 2017, 13:54
Plugin Extras is developments and can have any hidden bug. Your can use for any risk.
Well, that is not what I am referring to, see posts #45 from one of the developers of PH that it works ever though it contradicts with post #40 from the same individual then there is post #46 which is supported by post #36 from another individual that it works in Windows 10. If the bug had existed, they would also had the problem even though we could be using different binaries which is what I am trying to ask as post #40 says that your version is outdated which the individual in post #41 who posted in posts later in post #46 and earlier in post #36 asked for you to provide a updated version and you already confirmed in post #42 that your archive which is what I was referring to already includes it and even a few posts later, in posts #46 - the same individual still said they don't have the problem, ofcourse there was no reference where the binary when post #46 was made came from. The individual in post #45 obviously can compile their own binary since they already said in post #40 that your binary is outdated. Ofcourse no one actually said the binary from your archive actually worked with PH under Windows 10 x64 so what I was trying to ask was the other individuals, what was the source of their binary as that makes a difference. Being a Astrophysicist, it is valid to have all the details about the known and the unknown variables. People use PH at their own risk too, not just the plug-ins, I just wanted to know how they managed to get it working.

viksoftru

21 Nov 2017, 16:50

In my assembly scripts, before the assembly starts, the git pull origin -f command is called for the URL https://github.com/processhacker2/processhacker.git and https://github.com/processhacker2/plugins-extra.git so that the binaries the current state of the repository. You can get acquainted with my used toolkit and maybe that you will offer something useful for it, although I doubt it very much. :)

As sample - script for build SumatraPDF - @echo off&cd /d .\source&git.exe pull origin -f&&@start /i .\vs2017\SumatraPDF.sln&exit. I already use very old source.:)

Almighty1

28 Nov 2017, 13:24

Thanks viksoftru. One thing I forgot to mention is the latest Process_Hacker-bin.7z which contains processhacker-3.0-bin.zip still contains v2.8 instead of v3.0 builds of
kprocesshacker2_x32.sys
kprocesshacker2_x64.sys
that goes into the plugins\plugindata folder

@dmex, any chance that binaries can be provided as well for all the plug-ins at https://github.com/processhacker2/plugins-extra as I do not have the capacity to compile on my machine yet.

viksoftru

29 Nov 2017, 18:08

In Windows 10 disable Firewall Monitor plugin - this plugin have memory leak on Win10. In to forum.ru-board.com my fremd write in to PM about this phenomena and periodical crash Process Hacker in to Win10 v1709 (Win10 FCU) after operation Empty working set then PH running as Administrator. On Win7 i don't have this phenomena.

Asked him as an observer to describe in more detail what he saw, but we were looking for the cause of the memory leak on his car for several days.

skipik

29 Nov 2017, 18:34

Yeah, I had memory leak with Firewall Monitor enabled. It was on the latest Windows 10 Pro v1709 (x64). Sometimes the app crashes. So that plugin is kinda unstable, use it on your own risk. It happens when you use Process Hacker with admin privileges. Now (with FM disabled) everything is fine even if I run it under Admin plus KPH enabled.

Almighty1

29 Nov 2017, 21:02

Interesting. dmex and tomcat both seem to say their Firewall Monitor works fine in Windows 10 but the binary from your build does seem to have a problem with PH as PH will work for 4-5 seconds and then the entire PH process will exit on it's own. Renaming the Firewall Monitor plug-in seems to fix PH as mentioned in post #47.

Almighty1

30 Nov 2017, 02:45

I have a question, what is the correct way to disable a plug-in with PH?

viksoftru

30 Nov 2017, 05:13

Just use plugin manager or delete, or move FirewallMonitorPlugin.dll in to over dir. Example mv -f FirewallMonitorPlugin.dll ../../../.

Almighty1

30 Nov 2017, 10:01

I know the renaming will work but if PH automatically exits after 5 seconds with FirewallMonitorPlugin.dll, then I don't think I can even launch the plugin manager in time to be honest.

viksoftru

30 Nov 2017, 18:55

If use my toolkit Inno Setup installer delete any non checked plugin then upgrade existing installation. Your can use it for this task. User preference this operation is skiped.

Almighty1

01 Dec 2017, 01:27

Here is a video capture of what happens when I have FirewallMonitorPlugin.dll in the x64/plugins folder.

https://youtu.be/KeH9-r0vUbQ
2017-11-30_17-23-14.mp4
(2.32 MiB) Downloaded 11 times

viksoftru

03 Dec 2017, 06:24

You lost sight of one thing: you have Process Hacker running at that time, which means that the OS kernel will not allow you to remove the DLL. The simplest thing to do is when Process Hacker is not running, and what to do - choose the console command or any file manager that is more convenient for you.