Process Hacker and Windows discussion

jjstccean

Zone Alarm Antivirus is Killing Process Hacker!

13 Dec 2016, 07:25

I've been using Process Hacker for many years without any problems ever. Recently I've decided to make changes to my security software, such as the Zone Alarm product. But I'm very concerned about what it is doing to a program that I've never had any issues with. I don't for one minute believe that Process Hacker is a dangerous program. Is there any way I can over come the stupidity of this error with Zone alarm. Should I remove Zone Alarm.

Thank you in advance for any help.

dmex
Admin

Re: Zone Alarm Antivirus is Killing Process Hacker!

13 Dec 2016, 11:57

jjstccean wrote:
Is there any way I can over come the stupidity of this error with Zone alarm.
Can you upload a screenshot or copy the error message? :?

jjstccean

13 Dec 2016, 13:05

dmex, thx for your reply. The thing is, I seem to have sorted the problem.

Firstly, I've disabled my personal downloads folder in ZA's target scanning settings, uninstalled Process Hacker using Revo's uninstaller, did a reboot and reinstalled Process Hacker as Administrator. Now Process Hacker is loaded and sitting in the system tray and ZA is not hassling it. Unfortunately ZA cleared its quarantine and I cannot give you any screenshot. The entry in the quarantine was as follows, "not a virus" plus the apps install folder, but nothing more.

I looked in Process Hacker' folder at the exe file and found that it had been rendered useless. This was before I managed to uninstall it. I'll keep you updated should it happen again. Though I think install it as Admin may have overcome the problem. Could it be that the name of Process Hacker has misled ZA in to taking it as that. I can't see that been the case, MS's Defender [though not the best] did not have an issue with Process Hacker.

dmex
Admin

13 Dec 2016, 13:40

jjstccean wrote:
I looked in Process Hacker' folder at the exe file and found that it had been rendered useless.
Is this the same error message after trying to start Process Hacker?
error.PNG
error.PNG (9.45 KiB) Viewed 1315 times

jjstccean

13 Dec 2016, 13:49

Yes, that's it.

dmex
Admin

13 Dec 2016, 21:00

jjstccean wrote:
Yes, that's it.
Anything using the path "C:\Program Files\Process Hacker2\ProcessHacker.exe" is automatically corrupted by ZoneAlarm. I've tested the portable version of Process Hacker and it still works: https://wj32.org/processhacker/downloads.php

I don't know of a better solution as yet and I'm not sure what ZoneAlarm is doing to the executable. I'll update the thread when there's more information.

jjstccean

13 Dec 2016, 22:11

Good, thanks for the your help. It is working now. Could be that they, ZA has send info of the program to their lab tested it and gave it a thumbs up. Great program I'm never without it.