Process Hacker and Windows discussion

Sio

no shutdown with process hacker on win 10

26 Mar 2017, 13:21

win 10 64bit, process hacker 2 2.39
Hello,
I had problems with my ssd so I reinstalled win10. The previous version had process hacker happily running. In the process of reinstalling I suddenly encountered that I was not able to shutdown or restart windows, even with command line. I unistalled classic shell and that was the end of my win10 installation, at relogin I encountered a black screen and nothing else. Trying to use an earlier savepoint lead to an error. In the end I formatted the partition and several hours went down the drain.
Again I reinstalled and this time everything seemed ok, after process hacker 2 I made sure I could restart/shutdown. Installed chrome, avast, driver booster, perfmon and some other stuff. Driver booster required a restart and I couldnt. Same symptons like last time. I stopped process hacker, but still couldnt restart/shutdown. In options I disabled load on windows startup and click to tray and similar things. Basically I reverted to default. Rebooted and still couldnt shutdown. Opened process hacker window an errormessage was there which told me that the process hacker settings file was corrupt. Should it revert y/n? yes. The options resetted to default but process hacker was starting at windows startup. I clicked them away to not start at windows. Closed process hacker uninstalled process hacker. Restart windows. Now I am able to shutdown windows but not to restart windows. At restarting win is going down but the computer is still running. Monitor doesnt get a signal so goes to standby. I have to manually stop my computer which sucks. I try to live with it as I dont want to reformat again but if a program asks for a reinstall I see problems coming up.
I do not know why process hacker is suddenly acting up it worked for over an year on my old install. The only difference (beside a fresh win10) is that this time Im using the latest avast free, chrome (formerly firefox) and latest driver booster.

dmex
Admin

Re: no shutdown with process hacker on win 10

27 Mar 2017, 08:15

Sio wrote:
26 Mar 2017, 13:21
The only difference (beside a fresh win10) is that this time Im using the latest avast
Did you see any notifications from Avast about Process Hacker?

27 Mar 2017, 17:10

There was nothing from avast about process hacker. At least no pop up or any other notification. If there is somewhere a readable file I missed this.

dmex
Admin

28 Mar 2017, 09:07

Guest wrote:
27 Mar 2017, 17:10
There was nothing from avast about process hacker. At least no pop up or any other notification.
Avast blocks the Process Hacker kernel mode driver and they are supposed to show a notification to the user.

Can you try uninstalling Avast (temporarily) and see if the shutdown issue still persists?