Process Hacker and Windows discussion

Brian Westlake

PH 2.39 Stable High CPU Bug on W7 x64

15 Jun 2017, 05:17

Hello Process Hacker Developers,

I do love my PH, it's in the first five applications installed on any of my systems, and what I recommend to be installed, on all windows systems as a WTE replacement.

My Windows 7 SP1(+) x64 system, recently has started to trigger PH 2.39 to go into a very high CPU mode, where this process thread:

ProcessHacker.exe!PhAutoDereferenceObject+0x380

Seeks to max out CPU, and is only stopped from doing so, by my process manager, "Bitsum Process Lasso". The "companion" process thread (of low CPU usage itself) is:

ProcessHacker.exe!PhVerifyFile+0x266c

This PH 2.39 behaviour is recent, only in the last week or so, prior to that, it's behaviour has been immaculate.

The buggy behaviour is most decidedly "BohrBug", rather than "Heisenbug".

I've fallen back to using the SysInternals Process Explorer, but would like to get PH back on the straight and narrow.

What further data would you require, should you wish to resolve this behaviour?

Thank you.

Brian Westlake

Re: PH 2.39 Stable High CPU BohrBug on W7 x64

15 Jun 2017, 09:22

In the first instance:

-> Hacker -> Options -> Advanced -> Check images for digital signatures and packing: NO -> OK

and then restarting PE, resulted in a return to it's customary exemplary behaviour.

As to why this problem manifested after a year of PE 2.39, remains a mystery.

Best regards,

viksoftru

15 Jun 2017, 09:25

Please, check latest development version 3.0. I build and test all version stating old v2.3.x amd don't see this phenomenon. Possibly is Your local problem's. :?:

Brian Westlake

Re: PH 2.39 Stable High CPU Bug on W7 x64

15 Jun 2017, 10:47

@viksoftru: Thank you very much for responding.

I installed the 3.0.726 Dev. nightly, and the same behaviour is observed, and the same remedy is effective: The disabling of the "check images..." option.

Best regards,

HardDiskState

15 Jun 2017, 11:01

I think it depends on Hard Disk Life ( Old/New/Heavily Used) & Also The Current Pending I/O Read Writes When You Are Starting PH.

viksoftru

16 Jun 2017, 05:04

Brian Westlake wrote:
15 Jun 2017, 10:47
@viksoftru: Thank you very much for responding.

I installed the 3.0.726 Dev. nightly, and the same behaviour is observed, and the same remedy is effective: The disabling of the "check images..." option.

Best regards,
For check file system integrity run Windows console (possible use KBD shortcuts Win-R and use command processor's Microsoft CMD or JP Software 4NT, Take Command, TCC, TCC/LE then nave and like) and execute command:

chkdsk <disk_char>: /f [/r]

notes

1) Use /r switch only for disk error repair , switch /f is "check file system error's only and correct FS core structure" (like repair MFT bitmap table);

2) You need to use the console (the OS command line) in order to monitor the state of the file system by the behavior of the progress indicator - where the progress indicator slows down sharply compared to the previous time OS fixes errors even if this does not display messages to the console and does not record In the system logs. In GUI applications, this check is not possible because They average the speed of the progress of the indicator because of its small size and visually hide the presence of errors in the file system.

This method has been repeatedly tested on a large number of machines running Windows NT family operating systems starting from NT 3.1 and guaranteed to detect hidden file system errors.

P.S.

In the case of checking the volumes used by the OS, chkdsk with the / r option will suggest unmounting the volume and then it will be agreed, and after the OS itself mounts the volume.

See chkdsk /? for help about all chkdsk command line arguments.

Brian Westlake

21 Jun 2017, 03:19

@HardDiskState, @viksoftru, thank you very much for both of your assistance.

With reference to the 3.0.726 nightly build, after a chkdisk/R/F/V/X on the C: system drive, and a reboot, and then with the re-enabling of the digital signature checking, the high-CPU problem did not re-manifest.

Though, such a high-CPU vulnerability in the code, should be of some concern.

Best regards,

viksoftru

21 Jun 2017, 08:56

Most likely the cause was file system errors that forced the OS to repeatedly reread the same sectors of the drive, which led to an increase in the time spent finding the Process Hacker task of waiting for loading modules and increasing the consumption of CPU time in general.

dmex
Admin

11 Jul 2017, 04:32

Brian Westlake wrote:
15 Jun 2017, 09:22
As to why this problem manifested after a year of PE 2.39, remains a mystery.
Yeah, I'm not sure why PhVerifyFile is causing that problem and I can't reproduce it on my machine... best guess is a recent Windows patch changed something or it's having issues with a very unique binary signature.

Let me know if you keep coming across that same problem and if you're running any binaries that might cause it :thumbup: