Process Hacker and Windows discussion

ccppuu

Re: 3.0.5311.784 no plugin

11 Jul 2017, 12:47

When i use FileBrowseExecutable over a file in ramdisk it launch
"\Device\RamDisk0\Test\RamDisk\RamDisk.exe"
because it get name file from Image File Name
but it have problem with virtual device
instead if is possible i would to get filename from "Current Directory" and "Filename" to launch
"C:\Test\RamDisk\RamDisk.exe"

diversenok

Re: 3.0.5311.784 no plugin

11 Jul 2017, 16:25

PH 3.0.788 still have several places in the code where it tries to access files using incorrect names when it runs from virtual disk. For example — it can't obtain icon for itself (in main tree view).

PH accesses R:\Device\ImDisk0\ProcessHacker.exe instead of R:\ProcessHacker.exe.
Here is Process Monitor log with stack traces.

dmex
Admin

Re: FileBrowseExecutable not work with virtual devices

16 Aug 2017, 17:16

That ramdisk software (and most others) all seem to be based on Microsoft sample code that don't appear to be creating mountpoints for the device and the 'Image File Name' showing a \device\ string is related to that issue... Visual Studio also has some major issues with ramdisks (because the symbolic link issue) making debugging very slow and tedious.

I don't want to 'fix' this without knowing the exact cause since it might obfuscate symboliclink/mountpoint bugs... Also, Windows NT already caches programs in memory after startup and storing applications on ramdisks is unnecessary.

ccppuu

16 Aug 2017, 19:50

I understand what you say but not in the "General" tab I see "image file name" and "command line".
You can not pass to FileBrowseExecutable "command line" content, without parameters, instead of "image file name"?

dmex
Admin

31 Aug 2017, 10:00

ccppuu wrote:
16 Aug 2017, 19:50
You can not pass to FileBrowseExecutable "command line" content, without parameters, instead of "image file name"?
I've added a workaround in the latest nightly build and fixed this issue.

However, that ramdisk software still doesn't work properly with Process Hacker and breaks a lot of other software. It needs to be using the Windows Mount Manager API as documented here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... ass-driver

ccppuu

Re: Re: 3.0.5311.784 no plugin

31 Aug 2017, 14:15

workaround work, ty.