Process Hacker and Windows discussion

diversenok

Shutdown actions on the toolbar

05 Aug 2017, 20:04

Process Hacker toolbar has Computer button (not shown by default) that contain several actions that are dependent to Windows version.

Apparently, Restart to boot options and Hybrid shut down are available only from Windows 8 because they raise Access is denied exception on Windows 7.

Russell

Re: Shutdown actions on the toolbar

07 Aug 2017, 00:43

Hybrid Boot was introduced in Windows 8. It cannot be reproduced in Windows 7 without modifying the source code in Windows 7.

viksoftru

07 Aug 2017, 08:43

Test kit v3.0.5392.865, Win7 SP1 x64, I added Computer button in to PH main menu and see:
1.png
1.png (10.24 KiB) Viewed 345 times
delete ProcessHacker.exe.settings.xml, then make ProcessHacker.exe.settings.xml size 0 byte, run ProcessHacker.exe x64, add Computer button in to PH main menu and re-check again:
2.png
2.png (3.53 KiB) Viewed 345 times
- menu item Hybrid shut down is display's, but only in to Windows 8 added combine turn off method "Hybrid shutdown - is combine partially shutdown (close application and user session) then OS hibernate for fast boot in to notebook's.:? But this method is suitable for data storage systems with a large resource of drive re-writing (magnetic disks, systems on cylindrical magnetic domains) is absolutely not suitable for such systems as magnetic tapes or EEPROM (Flash, NVRAM) whose DVD-RAM resource is limited by the number of possible rewriting cycles without destroying the physical structure of the memory cell due to mechanical wear (magnetic tapes), multiple heating (DVD-RAM), or electro-thermo erosion of the gate electret (EEPROM). Here, as a developer of hardware, I do not understand why this method of shutting down the OS is leading to increased drive wear and its accelerated failure.:?

diversenok

07 Aug 2017, 09:41

Interesting. But I am just saying: may be PH should hide this menu items for Windows 7 users (because they wouldn't work) and show them only for Win 8+.

viksoftru

07 Aug 2017, 10:11

Is see... :)

dmex
Admin

07 Aug 2017, 10:29

diversenok wrote:
07 Aug 2017, 09:41
Interesting. But I am just saying: may be PH should hide this menu items for Windows 7 users (because they wouldn't work) and show them only for Win 8+.
Already done... update to the latest nightly build :thumbup:

diversenok

07 Aug 2017, 10:38

Strange... PH 3.0.865 and Windows 7 x64. Both menu items are still here and behave the same.

dmex
Admin

07 Aug 2017, 13:38

diversenok wrote:
07 Aug 2017, 10:38
Strange... PH 3.0.865 and Windows 7 x64. Both menu items are still here and behave the same.
I missed one of the menu dropdown callbacks... fixed :P

viksoftru

07 Aug 2017, 15:02

Thanks! I build and check test kit - menu is fixed.: :thumbup: