Process Hacker and Windows discussion

diegojsRW
New User

Suggestion: Find Window, like as Spy++

11 Mar 2013 05:49

Hello.

Initially, I liked to have found this program. I really was looking for a program that would blend the Task Manager, the Spy++, the CurrPorts and the Sysinternals Process Explorer. Process Hacker does it perfectly. Thanks!

My suggestion to the program is to add "Find Window" option, like as in Spy++. Then the user could point to a window or a control inside window.

Another suggestion, less relevant, is to add functionalities of Cheat Engine, to find, view and modify the memory of process. Inject DLL is already added, but viewing memory is too useful.

I'm programmer and these resources (view processes, view window layouts, view network stats, and so on.) are extremely useful for me. And blending these resources into a unique program is incredible!

(And sorry for my typos, my default language isn't English)

Thanks.
Diego Silva

dmex
Admin

Re: Suggestion: Find Window, like as Spy++

11 Mar 2013 18:59

My suggestion to the program is to add "Find Window" option, like as in Spy++. Then the user could point to a window or a control inside window.
Glad you like it 8-)

We have something similar to Spy++ for finding windows and controls, it's accessible via the toolbar plugin:
toolbar.PNG
toolbar.PNG (10.1 KiB) Viewed 4467 times
Or do you mean somethin more like Spy++ to open the control properties for the window instead of the process properties? :?

-dmex

diegojsRW
New User

12 Mar 2013 04:30

Glad you like it 8-)

We have something similar to Spy++ for finding windows and controls, it's accessible via the toolbar plugin:
toolbar.PNG
Or do you mean somethin more like Spy++ to open the control properties for the window instead of the process properties? :?

-dmex

Almost. I really don't saw these two icons, but I tested then and they point to the process. It would be nice if the button shows a window, like the "Window search" from Spy++, to show directly the relevant informations about pointed control: handle, class and text. Or so a similar button that, after pointing control, opens the "Windows" window of the relative process, and selects it on the list. This makes it easier where the process have dozens of forms and/or thousands of controls.

Diego Silva

xtal256

19 Mar 2013 23:01

Hi,

If you want an alternative to Spy++, try Window Detective.

</shameless self-promoting> :D
[Window Detective] - Windows UI spy utility

dmex
Admin

19 Feb 2015 04:54

Just following this up... This feature has been implemented via the WindowExplorer plugin included in recent releases. :thumbup:

You can right-click a process and select the Miscellaneous menu and select the Windows menu item and you can view all Controls and Windows for that process... There is also another menu item for viewing every Window and Control via the main window > View > Windows:

MagicAndre1981

19 Feb 2015 17:10

nice feature, that I was not aware of :)

xul8tr

28 Jan 2019 20:10

On github, there is someone who has actually added all the features i'd like to see incorporated into the WindowExplorer plugin. I've attached the binary and the source code from the github in case it goes away some day.

https://github.com/BissetJ/winspy

winspy-1.1.0.1
Attachments
winspy.zip
(226.1 KiB) Downloaded 135 times
winspy-master.zip
(131.67 KiB) Downloaded 120 times