grimreaper1014
Topic Author

Where to find a help guide for Process Hacker 2?

Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:12 pm

I just stumbled upon process hacker 2 the other day. I had it sitting in my download folder, and decided to install it today. I figured it will be a good resource to have. Especially for someone who works on computers and deals with infections on a daily basis. I never heard of process hacker until I saw in somewhere online. Therefore, I know next to nothing on exactly how to install, configure, or use it. I tried searching the forums and online for some type of install guide guide. However, I could not find anything. The only thing I was able to find is it's best to install it as a service, and have it replace the Windows task manager which I did. When you open up process hacker and it shows the running processes does each color have a meaning? For example like anything bad will be in red or something? What else can be done with process hacker? If someone could point me to a guide, or explain the basics of how to use it, and what exactly can be accomplished by using it that would be great. Thanks in advance!

wj32

Re: Where to find a help guide for Process Hacker 2?

Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:18 am

Therefore, I know next to nothing on exactly how to install, configure, or use it. I tried searching the forums and online for some type of install guide guide. However, I could not find anything.
I don't understand what you mean. If you downloaded the setup executable, you just run it. If you downloaded the zip file, the instructions are in README.txt.
When you open up process hacker and it shows the running processes does each color have a meaning? For example like anything bad will be in red or something?
You can see the different types of highlighting in Options > Highlighting.
What else can be done with process hacker? If someone could point me to a guide, or explain the basics of how to use it, and what exactly can be accomplished by using it that would be great. Thanks in advance!
Unfortunately I don't have time to write documentation as well as the program itself! :( It's pretty self-explanatory though - read Windows Internals if you have any conceptual difficulties.

grimreaper1014
Topic Author

Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:28 am

So basically it is the same thing as the Windows Task Manager? You just use it to see what processes are running ect? I thought it was something used for cleaning up infections.

wj32

Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:34 am

So basically it is the same thing as the Windows Task Manager? You just use it to see what processes are running ect? I thought it was something used for cleaning up infections.
Yes, it's the same type of program. I wouldn't say it's the same thing, just as MS Word isn't the same thing as Notepad. If you want to remove malware, here's a tip: enable "Check images for digital signatures and packing" in Options > Advanced, restart PH, and tick View > Hide Signed Processes.

grimreaper1014
Topic Author

Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:47 am

Hey thanks for the advice. I will give that a try. :thumbup:

t0t04K47

Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:34 pm

Hi there,
thanks alot for a gr8 soft.
I have a question, how can i set up parent - child view, in processes window.

dmex

Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:21 am

Hi there,
thanks alot for a gr8 soft.
I have a question, how can i set up parent - child view, in processes window.
Hi t0t04K47,

Parent - child view?

sammmy

Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:16 am

I would also like to enable the parent-child process mode. the process tab here is in that format: Image what I, and presumably he, am seeing does not feature indentations and collapsible process hierarchies. how is this format achieved?

TETYYS

Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:19 pm

I would also like to enable the parent-child process mode. the process tab here is in that format: Image what I, and presumably he, am seeing does not feature indentations and collapsible process hierarchies. how is this format achieved?
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2458