Process Hacker and Windows discussion

User

Process Hacker finding items that're deleted from my PC

09 Nov 2016, 22:53

Process Hacker is finding items that are no longer on my PC anymore, including directories that no longer exist (even after multiple restarts), how do I remove these items completely so they will no longer show up within Process Hacker?

dmex
Admin

Re: Process Hacker finding items that're deleted from my PC

10 Nov 2016, 14:47

User wrote:
Process Hacker is finding items that are no longer on my PC anymore, including directories that no longer exist (even after multiple restarts)
Deleted directories on the processes or services tabs? :?

User

10 Nov 2016, 18:59

dmex wrote:
User wrote:
Process Hacker is finding items that are no longer on my PC anymore, including directories that no longer exist (even after multiple restarts)
Deleted directories on the processes or services tabs? :?
No it's not from the processes/services list, at least not directly. i'm pretty sure it's finding a log somewhere on my pc, all though after running multiple heavy log remover programs it still seems to show up.
R Wipe&Clean (Clears pretty much every log i can think of)
CCleaner (Doesn't clear as much as R Wipe&Clean, but still clears alot of log files.)
and a few others that I downloaded just to test, which none cleared the items unfortunately.

I find the file from right clicking explorer from the processes list, clicking properties, > Memory > Strings > Minimum Length = 4 > Filter > Contains > Then type in an item that has been deleted, folders etc, many items that no longer exist on the PC continues to show within Process Hacker.

I understand explorer keeps certain items in memory even after they're deleted, e.g for creating dump files, but even after many reboots these items continue to show, and they're 100% removed from my pc, so it must be a log somewhere? As folders even continue to show after deletion.

dmex
Admin

11 Nov 2016, 05:23

User wrote:
I find the file from right clicking explorer from the processes list, clicking properties, > Memory > Strings > Minimum Length = 4 > Filter > Contains > Then type in an item that has been deleted, folders etc, many items that no longer exist on the PC continues to show within Process Hacker.

I understand explorer keeps certain items in memory even after they're deleted, e.g for creating dump files, but even after many reboots these items continue to show, and they're 100% removed from my pc, so it must be a log somewhere? As folders even continue to show after deletion.
You should be able to figure out where those strings are located based on the adjacent memory data?