Process Hacker and Windows discussion

Per
New User

Saving Process and I/O Priority

09 Mar 2017, 19:05

I'm not so much a computer guy as a network guy, so feel free to talk to me like I'm stupid.

I've noticed that when I'm extracting or creating a zip file with WinZip, the process doesnt seem to consume very many resources and takes a long time to complete. If I increase the priority of the process it does seem to reduce the time to complete. I found Process Hacker for the purpose of "saving" the increased priority level so that when the process runs a subsequent time, it will run at the increased priority setting rather than at "normal". However, that is not what seems to happen.

The next time I run WinZip and I view the priority of the process (or the I/O process), I find that it has reverted to the "normal" setting rather than running at the saved "reatime" setting that I manually chose and then also selected the "save for WINZIP64.EXE" option. My expectation is that WinZip would run each time in the future with the realtime setting. Am I correct with this expectation or is there something I am missing?

Thanks in advance for any responses.
-
Per

dmex
Admin

Re: Saving Process and I/O Priority

23 Mar 2017, 11:24

Per wrote:
09 Mar 2017, 19:05
My expectation is that WinZip would run each time in the future with the realtime setting. Am I correct with this expectation or is there something I am missing?
It should save yes. Does Process Hacker always do this or does it only happen after exiting Process Hacker and starting it again later?