Process Hacker and Windows discussion

leonardo5964

Detect application crash and generate dump

03 Feb 2011 09:35

I know that Process hacker can generate a dump for a process.
Wouldn't it be nice to be able to attach to a process and insert an exception handler to intercept an application crash and generate a dump?

wj32
Founder

Re: Detect application crash and generate dump

03 Feb 2011 10:11

Wouldn't it be nice to be able to attach to a process and insert an exception handler to intercept an application crash and generate a dump?
What's wrong with using WinDbg? Isn't it better to debug the application while it's still running?

leonardo5964

03 Feb 2011 12:01

wj32 wrote : What's wrong with using WinDbg? Isn't it better to debug the application while it's still running?
There is nothing wrong with WinDbg. Except there are those application crashes for which you can not find any clue to its cause and thus cannot reproduce. If the requested feature were available, it would be your path to coming to grips with the cause of the crash.

Leonardo.

scorpion007

03 Feb 2011 13:39

Didn't DrWatson used to do that? I.e. create a dump on crash? I don't know if it still works on Vista+, or whether there's some replacement for it.

wj32
Founder

03 Feb 2011 20:00

There is nothing wrong with WinDbg. Except there are those application crashes for which you can not find any clue to its cause and thus cannot reproduce. If the requested feature were available, it would be your path to coming to grips with the cause of the crash.

Leonardo.
Hmm? Why would you need to be able to reproduce the bug in order to attach WinDbg when it crashes?

leonardo5964

04 Feb 2011 13:48

wj32, Thank you for letting me know your thoughts. They are most helpfull. I have been searching for a way to get more info from the crash as it almost immediately unloads and the crash happens several hours after starting the program. I just had not thought of windbg s use in this way.