Process Hacker Discussion Forum

WombatCombat

Small UI tweaks

11 Oct 2018 22:00

PH has replaced Process Explorer as my daily driver. Awesome work.

A few small tweaks would be nice, but these are by no means deal breakers.

UI tweaks:
1 - Ability to choose different font styles for each measure. For example, condensed font for longer values like path, or bold for primary measures, like CPU.
2 - Relabel "old colors" to "dark mode".
3 - Dark scroll bars for dark mode.
4 - Lighten UI elements in dark mode, like dropdown/tree triangle, modern icons, and dividers.
5 - Relative time column compact mode - "h" instead of "hours", remove "and", etc.
6 - Dotted tree indicators
7 - In settings, make the notification sections subheadings under a single Notifications group. The main entry can simply be checkboxes that enable each subgroup.
8 - Custom font and line height for column headers.
9 - Custom line height for entries.
10 - Option to combine the toolbar and tabs in a single row. Could style tabs differently and convert them into a single selection toggle group, so they act as a button group would.
11 - Option to hide scrollbars after n seconds.
12 - Option to hide title bar and toolbar when snapped to edge of screen. Or maybe a general "snapped view" that has some separate customization options separate from the main view, like graphs on for snapped view, but off for general view.

Other suggestions:
13 - Add an option to open an upper or lower pane that displays the last n process entries to close or open since opening PH. Useful when troubleshooting and you want to know "what just closed?" Data can be whatever the values were at the time it closed (or immediately after launching), or maybe allow selection of x seconds before/after closing and cache last couple readings.
14 - Add column options in main view or the windows panel to show the different window coordinates and measures. I'm constantly hunting down weird mismatches between WorkArea, VirtualDisplay, scaling, etc, so just being able to see the x, y, width, and height numbers for the different desktop and display indexing (with and without scaling) would be super helpful. It can be tricky and even the NirSoft utilities don't get it right when display scaling is different between monitors
15 - "Follow selected process" option, which centers the selected process when changing the sorted column.

EDIT: Added numbers to elaborate below. I don't mean to minimize the amount of work that would be required, but some of this should be very easy for anyone familiar with the codebase.
1 - Just a change in font style - choice of bold, italic, condensed. Separate font would be nice, but not necessary. Can bring be toggled by right clicking the column header, so no need to make new dialogs, ui stuff.
2 - Just changing 2 words. I really hope "old colors" isn't code for "being removed soon". It's one of my favorite features.
3 - This might be a headache and depends on the code. It might be better to wait for the next Win10 update when they are adding Night Mode, and hook into that instead.
4 - This should be trivial. It's a single if-statement to check if Dark Mode is enabled and set UI elements to something like current_RGB_value += (255 - current_RGB_value) / 2. All PNGs could be batch processed by nConvert in 10 seconds.
5 - Again, single checkbox toggle when right clicking column header would work fine.
6 - Possible headache, never had to try this. All the indentation is there, so a hacky way would be to use unicode characters, like the dotted fence http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode ... /index.htm and dotted right arrow http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode ... index.htm with a monospace font, or fill the indents with custom icons that are dotted lines..
7 - I think this simply has to be done at some point, but it's the most minor issue I noticed.
8 - Super minor, too. I just hate when the header of a column is 10x wider than the data in the column.
9 - Definitely would be nice. Depending on how the program is coded, this is a single call to set the ListView Padding property. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet ... work-4.7.2
10 - Like I said above, convert the Tabs to Buttons that look like tabs in a select-1 button group.
11 - Super minor again.
12 - A good amount of work, but would really make PH stand out from competitors. Not necessary at all, but would be a really nice stand-out feature.
13 - This would be very useful, but possibly resource intensive and definitely a good bit of coding. I think PH spans the functionality of many SysInternals and NirSoft utilities, and this would be another step into that territory. Kind of a ProcessMonitor Lite.
14 - You've got access to this now, so it's a case of how much overhead would it add to collect and display.
15 - Another nice option for troubleshooting and shouldn't take much. Right-click, 'Center on process', scroll to process on display refresh (and check for edges cases)
Last edited by WombatCombat on 17 Oct 2018 01:46, edited 1 time in total.

viksoftru

Re: Small UI tweaks

14 Oct 2018 17:16

This wishes equivalents new development. Personally, I am against.

WombatCombat

17 Oct 2018 00:25

I'm not saying ALL these have to be done. Like I said, I love the program as is and will continue to use it. My biggest gripes are cleaning up the dark theme and making things a little more compact. I'll edit the OP to make it a little more clear.

Sander_Bouwhuis

30 Oct 2018 09:52

viksoftru wrote: 14 Oct 2018 17:16
What do you mean? Is this product end-of-life? No new development anymore?
I hope not! It'd be a shame if I had to go back to ProcessExplorer.

viksoftru

04 Nov 2018 08:44

But PH source is open. C++ in to hand, make Your patch and publish it if very whish, or use PE as Your favorite select :)

dmex
Admin

04 Nov 2018 18:24

viksoftru wrote: 14 Oct 2018 17:16
No.
Sander_Bouwhuis wrote: 30 Oct 2018 09:52
What do you mean? Is this product end-of-life? No new development anymore?
I hope not! It'd be a shame if I had to go back to ProcessExplorer.
Don't listen to that guy. You can download the latest version here:
https://wj32.org/processhacker/nightly.php
WombatCombat wrote: 11 Oct 2018 22:00
I like some of these ideas.... I'm moving house right now and don't have internet but I will respond to each of your requests soon :thumbup:

AltF4

19 Nov 2018 04:10

Personally I only really would care for 13 and 14.

Maybe 5

WombatCombat

23 Jan 2019 03:51

dmex wrote: 04 Nov 2018 18:24
WombatCombat wrote: 11 Oct 2018 22:00
I like some of these ideas.... I'm moving house right now and don't have internet but I will respond to each of your requests soon :thumbup:
No worries at all. If you changed nothing I would still be happy. In total, anything that can be done to display more information (increase density) and improve the dark UI would be very much appreciated. Great work!

afrikan

17 Mar 2019 18:52

5, 12, 13, 14 and 15 are really good suggestions. :thumbup:

Though I don't understand that hype about dark themes. I personally have very bad eyesight and don't like dark themes at all, they make my eyes uncomfortable. :geek: :mrgreen: So I'd like to ask for at least not making dark theme the default, or especially the only theme (pleeease, don't do that! :lol: )