Process Hacker Discussion Forum

xtal256

Special search terms

28 Jun 2017 10:52

Sometimes I want to see new processes, but I may not see them if they appear further down in the list. I don't want to enable "Scroll to new processes", as I often want to look at something in the list and don't care if new processes are being created elsewhere in the list.

I thought it would be a good idea to be able to enter a special command in the search box to show only new and/or deleted processes. This idea could be expanded to allow filtering based on many different states or properties. One can already highlight processes in different colours for own, system, job, debugged, etc processes, so one should also be able to filter by them too.

So far, I'm thinking of the following "special" searches, which can be denoted with a prefix character such as a colon or question mark.
  • new - shows only new processes (those highlighted in green)
  • deleted - shows only processes that have recently been deleted (those highlighted in red)
  • own
  • system
  • job
  • 32bit
  • 64bit
  • debugged
  • elevated
  • ... and more
The "new" filter might be tricky, as it would have to constantly filter whenever a new process is added. And you would want the new ones to stay in the list, so they'd have to be marked some how (probably in a similar manner to how they are highlighted green). But I think it could be done.

What do you think?
[Window Detective] - Windows UI spy utility

Michaelscopy

Special search terms

23 Jun 2018 15:28

currently search terms comprised of 3 letter words - such as BBC, SBC, 429, 454, 350, etc - wont search correctly due to the short length of the word.

any chance to get search support for 3 letter words?

xtal256

Re: Special search terms

28 Jun 2018 03:19

Michaelscopy, I think you should make a separate topic for that.
[Window Detective] - Windows UI spy utility