Process Hacker Discussion Forum

cw2k

Background color of highlight makes text hardly readable

28 Feb 2018 16:56

When I click some item in PH3's listview it get's highlighted.
But the items text get's nearly invisible because of the low color contrast between them.
The text color is black while the background color of the highlight is dark blue.

I don't see any options setting that can change/fix this.
Well one general solution can be to just apply and binary NOTon the background color value and assign this as text color value to the selected item.
That'll just flip all color bits and result in complete the opposite color.
Like this we'll get the maximum color contrast.

On other experimental solution for the current situation (with colors very close to each other) can be to apply some XOR text color value with the background color value on select and on deselect.
That might also give some nice contrast + you'll don't need to store the current color to restore it afterwards when apply some deselect.

dmex
Admin

Re: Background color of highlight makes text hardly readable

01 Mar 2018 12:30

cw2k wrote: 28 Feb 2018 16:56
I don't see any options setting that can change/fix this.
TreeListCustomColorsEnable == 1

;)
cw2k wrote: 28 Feb 2018 16:56
The text color is black while the background color of the highlight is dark blue.
The above setting should be more than enough to solve the issue with the colors... You can also change some additional settings if the default custom colors are not correct:

TreeListCustomColorText
TreeListCustomColorFocus
TreeListCustomColorSelection

The color settings are hexadecimal. For example:

R: ff0000
G: 00ff00
B: 0000ff

If you wanted the Focus color as grey the setting would be 808080... There are hundreds of different hex color charts online that show the hexadecimal values :thumbup:

cw2k

01 Mar 2018 13:57

Wow cool I it got done!
thanks mate.
:mrgreen:

Oops but something got messed up :o - somehow that enabled the hottracking or hover mode (dunno how that's called exactly) on the TreeView.
So item's get highlighted (but not selected) when I just move the mouse over them:
That looks really crappy. I already Reset the options but this didn't helped out. :thinking:

other bugs I just discovered:
  1. Options: 'Show advanced' checkbox setting is not saved. When I close options and reopen them the 'Show advanced' is always unchecked
  2. Advanced Options Treeview inconsistent formating for integer values on the colums value and Default

Ideas:
  1. Options Dialog: instead of closing the window when you hit the [Close] button - Hide the Window (or do some Form.visible=false)
    so I reopen it I'll show the last state and item I edited instead of starting always at the beginning.

The following stuff is just inspired by the UI standard set up by Mozilla Firefox. There just enter 'config:about' to see its Advanced options
  2. Advanced Options Treeview extra column that just says Standard or User value - like this it is easy to spot what settings got changed and whose are still on default by just clicking the column header to sort for that column
  3. Advanced Options Treeview format default value in grey text color ; format value the were change in bold
  4. Advanced Options Treeview Hoykey like for ex DEL or a click to restore the default value
  5. Advanced Options Treeview A Filter TextBox
  6. Advanced Options Treeview Import/Export settings. I think it doesn't necessarily needs to be saved to file.
    Since the standard Treeview control lakes for support to copy it's content and this function manually.
    ->Like maybe via a right click context menu that says 'Copy Selected' and some Paste. Paste give some feedback like 3 items pasted as a message box or better in the statusbar.
    -> Or I guess a TextBox with a dump of the settings where I can select copy&paste what I want would be completely fine.
    -> Or some other idea here would be to save the settings in the registry and put a button here that'll open regedit.exe and navigate to the PH settings so the user can individually import export them.

02 Jun 2018 04:53

Ahh I had this problem too. I even looked in the advanced settings but didn't notice something that would seemingly affect it (it's not a particularly intuitive option, plus it's located away from the other color options)

Still what annoys me is the focus/hover coloring in the first place (I'm not talking about the selection highlight, but specifically mouse hover). Is there an option to disable it? I find it to be quite annoying, and I also get graphical bugs from it.

dmex
Admin

21 Jun 2018 17:37

cw2k wrote: 01 Mar 2018 13:57
Oops but something got messed up :o - somehow that enabled the hottracking or hover mode (dunno how that's called exactly) on the TreeView.
So item's get highlighted (but not selected) when I just move the mouse over them:
This should be fixed in the latest nightly build :thumbup:
'Show advanced' checkbox setting is not saved. When I close options and reopen them the 'Show advanced' is always unchecked
Fixed in the nightly build :thumbup:
Advanced Options Treeview inconsistent formating for integer values on the colums value and Default
The value column is copied directly from memory and converting the current values back to strings will show different results because the memory value is optimized. The default column is showing the hard-coded defaults which are already strings and so there's no conversion from memory hence the differences in the two values.

I could format the data shown in the value column but then you're not going to see what the current values really are and whether or not they're optimized. I might do that in the future but for now it's by design.
[*]Options Dialog: instead of closing the window when you hit the [Close] button - Hide the Window (or do some Form.visible=false)
so I reopen it I'll show the last state and item I edited instead of starting always at the beginning.
We did this previously but keeping the window open but hidden (after it's been closed) is bad design and keeps 'junk' in memory that should otherwise begone... I am going to fix the parenting so that you can keep the options window open without it blocking the main window.
[*]Advanced Options Treeview format default value in grey text color ; format value the were change in bold
This is a good idea. I'll try and add some highlighting for values that have been modified :thumbup:
[*]Advanced Options Treeview Hoykey like for ex DEL or a click to restore the default value
[*]Advanced Options Treeview A Filter TextBox
[*]Advanced Options Treeview Import/Export settings. I think it doesn't necessarily needs to be saved to file.

Since the standard Treeview control lakes for support to copy it's content and this function manually.
->Like maybe via a right click context menu that says 'Copy Selected' and some Paste. Paste give some feedback like 3 items pasted as a message box or better in the statusbar.
I'll be adding all this stuff after converting the advanced settings over to our custom treelist control :thumbup:
save the settings in the registry and put a button here that'll open regedit.exe and navigate to the PH settings so the user can individually import export them.
Saving settings in the registry breaks portability and those settings could be easily modified by 3rd party software.