Process Hacker Discussion Forum

gsom9000
New User

Protect Process Hacker against viruses (window title + process name)

16 Jan 2019 21:33

Hi. Some viruses just disable or suspend PH when you try to run it on infected PC. I was helping ppl with virus removal and for the last 3 months almost every malware/virus/miner tried to stop PH process, even if i tried to rename executable file. I have read some forums where the viruses code is posted and looks like most of them are trying to check process name and window title when you try to run any .exe. To counter this, Dr.Web CureIt and Kaspersky VRT have the protection - every time you download them from official sites - you get unique .exe name, etc.
Please consider to add a feature to download latest PH with random .exe name, that launches random window title and show up as randomly named process in the Task Manager. This will definitely help to use Process Hacker when it is really needed. And thank you for that awesome software.

dmex
Admin

Re: Protect Process Hacker against viruses (window title + process name)

09 Feb 2020 05:04

gsom9000 wrote: 16 Jan 2019 21:33
Hi. Some viruses just disable or suspend PH when you try to run it on infected PC. I was helping ppl with virus removal and for the last 3 months almost every malware/virus/miner tried to stop PH process, even if i tried to rename executable file.
I regularly get emails about these issues and have been updating the nightly builds with features to make these attacks harder and more obvious.

These days it's not just malware but even "legitimate" software (Antivirus and especially online Games) using identical methods as malware to target Process Hacker. I'm starting to think the employees at those companies are the same people authoring the malware and using their position to further their employment by 'taking down' their own malware and then using company resources to attack software like Process Hacker.
Please consider to add a feature to download latest PH with random .exe name
You can already rename processhacker.exe with a random filename.
launches random window title
You can set the "EnableWindowText" setting to 0 for disabling the window title and also change the "MainWindowClassName" setting to a different window class.
show up as randomly named process in the Task Manager.
It'll show up as a different process after you rename the executable and disable the window title.

These features and others are included in the nightly builds:
https://wj32.org/processhacker/nightly.php