Process Hacker and Windows discussion

xul8tr

Disk tab doesn't work with PrimoCache

04 Sep 2019, 15:36

PrimoCache is similar to Samsung's "Rapid Mode". It utilizes RAM as swap in order to give a huge healthy boost of performance to disk read/write. PrimoCache has a lot of configuration and options to really help tweak performance.

When a "Cache Task" is enabled Process Hacker cannot see the disk activity. As soon as I pause the "Cache Task" it starts registering the activity.

Is there any other way the app could get the disk activity and report it? Is it possible to get a plugin that supports PrimoCache otherwise?

https://www.romexsoftware.com/en-us/pri ... index.html

viksoftru

Re: Disk tab doesn't work with PrimoCache

14 Sep 2019, 02:41

xul8tr wrote:
04 Sep 2019, 15:36
PrimoCache is similar to Samsung's "Rapid Mode".
Sorry, but on the developer’s page of this program there is an outright deception of users in the form of the promise "GET 70X FASTER? IT'S NOT IMPOSSIBLE!". The deception is simple - they give measurements of the data transfer speed in RAM, but they don’t say that any storage device with a large capacity on which PrimoCache will then write the data buffered in it via a communication channel with limited capacity, to the device the internal read / write speed in which is several times lower than the maximum bandwidth of its interface channel. Therefore, the numbers indicated in the picture, especially in tens of gigabytes per second, are physically achievable for modern technology, and therefore this program is an ordinary deception of users in order to receive money for non-existent advantages.

The same effect of speeding up I / O operations is provided by the disk cache of any multitask OS, or a disk controller with a hardware cache based on RAM chips. The real value of this acceleration ranges from 30% - 70% and any higher numbers are a hoax or fake test reports.

Further, regarding your question about why you can’t read the data from this program - as a computer developer with many years of experience, I believe that this is done artificially in order to prevent the fraud from being exposed, because if it opens, the guys will not just lose sales, so he also has enough questions for the police for a long time - after all, cheating for profit is a criminal offense that has been severely punished all the time.

David Xanatos

15 Sep 2019, 17:00

You could try the Memory Maped IO graphs of Task Explorer https://github.com/DavidXanatos/TaskExp ... ag/v0.9.25 this bypasses windows cache and shows real disk data rates.

viksoftru

16 Sep 2019, 06:50

David Xanatos

I understand that you are promoting your project, but sometimes you need to have a conscience. :thumbdown:

xul8tr

23 Sep 2019, 16:17

Here is some benchmarks. It's not 70x faster than my SSD, but it very well could be 70x faster than a 5400 laptop drive. As you can see, in some instances, even with the fastest SSD that is out (as far as I know), I am still getting 10x performance increase in some situations. Before you knock PrimoCache, you may want to install it and play with the settings and see exactly what it has to offer.

Motherboard
CPU Type: HexaCore Intel Core i7-8850H, 2600 MHz (26 x 100)
Motherboard Name: Dell Latitude 5591
Motherboard Chipset: Intel Cannon Point CM246, Intel Coffee Lake-H

Ram
Name: Samsung M471A4G43MB1-CTD
Size: 32 GB (2 ranks, 16 banks)
Count: 2
Total: 64 GB
Type: SO-DIMM - DDR4 SDRAM
Speed: DDR4-2666 (1333 MHz)
Width: 64 bit
Voltage: 1.2 V

Drive=
Name: Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB
SSD Family: 970 Evo Plus
Type: NVMe v1.3.0
Form Factor: M.2 2280
PCI Vendor ID: 144Dh (Samsung)
Formatted Capacity : 1000 GB
Controller Type: Samsung Phoenix S4LR020
Flash Memory Type: Samsung 96-layer 3D TLC V-NAND
Max. Sequential Read Speed: 3500 MB/s
Max. Sequential Write Speed: 3300 MB/s
Interface: PCI-E 3.0 x4
Interface Data Rate: 4000 MB/s
Buffer Size: 1 GB

No PrimoCache

PrimoCache

viksoftru

25 Sep 2019, 09:09

Speed 16 Gb/s is typically for RAM-to-RAM operations then RAM is matrix array device using more parallel read/write operations in to elementary memory cell at some time for burst data transfer rate. Transfer rate for "RAM-to-Device" always limited is minimal value on "Device-to-Host" and "Device internal" and "Device-to-Internal_Bus_buffer" data transfer rate device parameters. Over digits is wrong value then transfer rate is dependence on chip physical nature.

P.S.

The question for the first class is if two holes of different sizes are punched in the bottom of a bucket of water, then through which hole will the water flow more? So it is here. And all the visible numbers are imitation to get the desired answer. Dreaming is not harmful ... until dreams contradict objective reality and the laws of nature. :mrgreen: