Process Hacker and Windows discussion

zsoltkantor

Higher CPU load compared to other free and commercial system monitoring software

10 Oct 2019, 18:56

I hesitated a while to register and post this issue if it's really an issue, but because I got no answer for it finally I created this post.
Process Hacker, also older versions (and the nightly build) displays a global 20-30% CPU load while the system is idle, IN THE CIRCUMSTANCES when other free and commercial system monitoring application display 0-4% usage. The other system monitoring software which I used to check this are: Aida64, HwMonitor from CPUID, the Task Manager from Windows, CPU load gadget in Windows, Wise System Monitor, and another commercial software.
Only very old versions of Process Hacker displays 0-4%. Why is this?
I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

Vasilich

Re: Higher CPU load compared to other free and commercial system monitoring software

30 Oct 2019, 16:05

What version of PH do you use (tell us exact version, not just "nightly build")?
What columns are shown in your installation?

zsoltkantor

Re: Higher CPU load compared to other free and commercial system monitoring software

08 Nov 2019, 09:36

OK. So I've tried now the last stable version which can be downloaded from the homepage - v2.39.124
I've tried the portable version 64-bit executable because I'm running Win 7 64-bit.
On system idle, while only system processes are running I'm getting a reported ~25% CPU load while with other programs the load is 1-2%
The default columns are shown. By the way, the same behavior with newer Process Explorer program. With PE v14.01 which was released in 2010 the CPU load is as expected, but with versions 16 and up CPU load is wrongly displayed on my system. I have also a newer laptop on which CPU load is reported correctly. This one is from 2008. So maybe it is hardware related. Still the application should report CPU load correctly even for older hardware.
If screenshots would help I can send some, also if Process H has some diagnosis options I will run it with those options.

dmex
Admin

08 Nov 2019, 17:23

zsoltkantor wrote:
08 Nov 2019, 09:36
With PE v14.01 which was released in 2010 the CPU load is as expected, but with versions 16 and up CPU load is wrongly displayed on my system.
Try changing the EnableCycleCpuUsage setting:

1) Exit Process Hacker
2) Open %appdata%\Process Hacker\settings.xml (nightly settings path)
3) Change EnableCycleCpuUsage from 1 to 0
4) Start Process Hacker

zsoltkantor

08 Nov 2019, 21:55

I can confirm that this solves my issue! Thank you.