Process Hacker Discussion Forum

andy01q

Sort tree view

24 Jan 2021 00:29

I want to sort the processes while retaining tree view.
I found a similar thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=209
But the given solution just reverts back to unsorted tree view which doesn't help me.
To be more exact I would even like to have the processes listed by Private Bytes including the private bytes of all sub processes.

viksoftru

Re: Sort tree view

24 Jan 2021 23:06

The order and direction of sorting are switched by clicking on the column name in the panel headers. The triangle indicates the direction of the sort.

andy01q

26 Jan 2021 17:54

Yes. I get unsorted tree view, then I get sorted non-tree view, then I get sorted non-tree view into the other direction, then I loop back to unsorted tree view again.
I want sorted tree view.
If nothing else, then the same thing which the quick start icon on the bottom right displays on mouseover would be nice.
Last edited by andy01q on 26 Jan 2021 17:55, edited 1 time in total.

dmex
Admin

29 Jan 2021 07:18

andy01q wrote: 24 Jan 2021 00:29
I want to sort the processes while retaining tree view.
But the given solution just reverts back to unsorted tree view which doesn't help me.
To be more exact I would even like to have the processes listed by Private Bytes including the private bytes of all sub processes.
How would you sort values while maintaining the treeview? If you tried to sort a column, the values would have to remain where they are to maintain the treeview so you wouldn't be able to sort the column.

andy01q

13 Feb 2021 03:36

dmex wrote: 29 Jan 2021 07:18
How would you sort values while maintaining the treeview?
Treeview takes priority and only things on the same treeview level get sorted.
Edit: Like this:
You could also sort the different levels by private bytes including the private bytes of all child processes, would probably even be better, but without that would be very good too.

andy01q

05 Aug 2021 06:37

By the way: Just the order that the popup of the symbol in the notification area without any subprocesses would be fine too, although I recently discovered, that these do actually not always show the parent process, but that "bug" is more one of poorly coded applications than of the process hacker, but then again the main window succeeds in listing the correct parent process, while the popup in the notification area does not, but also I understand that just using that parent would result in problems with other applications, so whatever about that.
Also:
"How would you sort values while maintaining the treeview?"
That does already happen in the standard tree view, although it is unclear by what the trees are sorted, so honestly I don't understand that question.